For a PDF version of the minutes click here: Minutes_2017_03P
Hilton Parish Council
PO BOX 8094, Swadlincote, Derbyshire. DE11 1FR
Tel: Office 01283 730969 – Mobile 0771 9599132
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 22ND MARCH 2017 AT HILTON VILLAGE HALL COMMENCING AT 7PM
This meeting is not to be confused with the Annual Parish Council Meeting, this meeting was an OPEN meeting of the Parish. The Parish Councils role was to facilitate the meeting.
Cllr Cooper (in the Chair)
Cllr Hudson, Cllr Darlington and Cllr Brundish
3 District Council Representative, 1 County Council representative, 3 Police Representative and 33 Members of the Public were in attendance at the meeting.
Resolved: The Meeting started at 7pm.
- Minute Number 001/2017 – Chairman’s – Introduction and welcome
The Chair gave his report and introductions as follows:
- The Chair introduced the Parish Councillors in attendance and the Clerk. He explained that the Clerk was a full time officer and adviser to the Parish Council. Parish Councillors were elected or co-opted Councillors and elections were held every 4 years. There is currently one vacancy on the Parish Council, if anyone was interested in joining the Council, they should contact the Parish Clerk.
- He explained that the meeting had been arranged to discuss the proposed Development on Derby Road, the Developer had been invited but had declined to attend due to other commitments.
- He explained that the land in question was not owned by Talbot Turf.
- He explained that Parish Councils were first founded in 1894 under the Local Government Act, the last amendment to this act was in 1972. He explained that Parish Councils have a lot of rules, regulations and red tape to follow. He talked about how disappointing it was to see the criticism and poor press that the Parish Council receives on Facebook, often people do not understand what the Parish Council does or can and cannot do with the powers they have. As volunteers giving up our time to better the community in which we all live, this can be disheartening. Residents are more than welcome to attend Parish Council Meetings.
- He explained that the Parish Council have very little authority on Planning Applications, the Parish Council are only a consultee and our comments are treated in exactly the same way as comments from residents.
- He introduced the Ward Members for Hilton, Cllr Plenderleith, Cllr Patten and Cllr Billings.
- He explained that the meeting had been arranged to facilitate conversations on the proposed Development. The Parish Council were more than happy to support this tonight and going forward with other meetings etc if required.